4 days, 300 miles, 2 capitals… Ready to ride?
Your cycle challenge…
Running 25th Jul 2018 – 29th Jul 2018, 300 mile, 4 day bike ride takes us through the beautiful Kent countryside to Dover, before crossing the Channel to Calais. Our route takes us along quiet French country lanes, through traditional market towns with views of the rolling, green fields of northern France, passing the war memorials and cemeteries of the Somme. The pièce de résistance of this cycle challenge will
be the final cycle up the Champs Elysées to the Arc de Triomphe, following in the tyre tracks of the cycling greats, before watching them cycle the same route the next day in the finale of the Tour de France! Read on for more info, contact us or book your place today!
London to Calais
After an early registration we begin our epic ride. It’s not too long before we’re past the outskirts of London and
hitting the countryside of Kent. It’s a long cycling day today but upon reaching the port of Dover and seeing the famous white cliffs, there’ll be a great sense of achievement. We then board the ferry to Calais and have dinner whilst on board. Upon reaching Calais, it’s just a very short push onto our hotel where we have a well deserved
rest and get our heads down for the night.
Cycling distance – approx. 85 miles
Calais to Arras
Following breakfast at our hotel we leave Calais behind us, remembering to stay on the right! We begin cycling
on smooth, flat roads for approximately 10 miles, before we start to pull up towards our first water stop. The route then becomes more undulating as we cycle through the French countryside up to our lunch stop. Some small limbs after lunch bring us to a gentle descent into the beautiful medieval town of Arras, one of the prettiest towns in northern France, where we check into our hotel.
Cycling distance – approx. 80 miles
Arras to Compiègne
After breakfast, we continue with our cycle and head south through the Region of the Somme and its WWI battlefields – rolling, green meadows studded with the many war memorials and cemeteries of the First World War. Following traditionally French, tree-lined avenues, we approach our next overnight stop in Compiègne. Since 1968, Compiègne has been the starting place of the “Paris-Roubaix”, the most famous French cycling race
after the Tour de France.
Cycling distance – approx. 74 miles
Compiègne to Paris
Our last day in the saddle sees us leaving Compiègne riding through the beautiful forest surrounding the town.
Our route then continues through pretty towns and villages towards the outskirts of Paris. We cycle through the hustle and bustle of the Parisian streets until we reach the Louvre where we stop to re-assemble, then ride as a
group up the majestic Champs Elysées to our finish line at the Eiffel Tower! This evening we toast our achievements at a celebratory dinner.
Cycling distance – approx. 68 miles
Watch the finale of the Tour de France!
After breakfast at our hotel, we are free to enjoy the sights and sounds of Paris. The Tour de France will be reaching its climax today as it races through the streets of Paris, so ensure you grab your place on the Champs-Elysees to see some of the action. In the early evening each participant will be responsible for getting themselves to Gare du Nord in order to catch the Eurostar back to St Pancras. Bicycles will be transported back to London and upon our arrival back in the UK, we take a short transfer back to the starting point for farewell and goodbyes. Alternatively, participants are free to travel home directly from St Pancras and we can arrange for your bicycle to meet you there. (Please note, this is a complex itinerary and subject to change, including the daily mileages )
Option A – Raising a Minimum Sponsorship
- Participant pays Registration Fee of £125 to Global Adventure Challenges and then raises the minimum sponsorship of £1600 for PaP.
- Participant sends 80% of the minimum sponsorship and pledges for the remaining 20% to People against Poverty at least 11 weeks prior to the departure date of the Challenge. All outstanding sponsorship MUST be sent to us within six weeks of completing the Challenge.
- People against Poverty will be invoiced by Global Adventure Challenges for the balance of the Challenge 10 weeks prior to departure. Click here to book your place or contact us for more info!
Option B – Self-Funding Option
- Participant sends Registration Form to Global Adventure Challenges, together with the Registration Fee of £125.
- 11 weeks prior to departure, an invoice for £800 will be sent to the participant for the cost of the Challenge.
- Although there is no minimum sponsorship required, we ask you to raise as much as you can for People against Poverty. Any sponsorship collected MUST be sent to the Charity. Contact us if you wish to self fund your Challenge.